Figs              I am growing 10 different fig varieties now in order to see which ones perform best here. This is the first step that i need to do to grow figs successfully. Once i found the varieties that grow best for me here i can try and grow fig trees from seeds of my best varieties. This is quite complicated. There is male and female fig trees. The fig trees that make edible figs in cooler climates such as ours belong to a type of female fig that makes parthenocarpic fruits. These trees will make figs without them having to be pollinated. In order to get seeds from my best trees i will then need to find a male fig tree.

I tried to research fig pollination and from what i found i need to find a persistent caprifig tree to get the male pollen from, because only a persistent caprifig will be able to produce female parthenocarpic offspring.

So once i singled out my best varieties i need to find a persistent male caprifig and then i can try my luck at hand pollination of the figs.

Here is a good article about fig breeding:

https://phiggy.org/breeding-figs-in-plain-language/

Here is a description of the manual pollination technique:

http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/post/hand-fig-pollination-procedure-8123027


I am growing my figs in containers to make them fruit quicker by constricting the roots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey puzzle