Sequoia sempervirens (coast redwood) Someone gave me a coast redwood as a present and while i didn't plan on planting such a tree on my land i thought well ok. I am so glad now that i did this because this tree is so beautiful and it started my journey of planting tall growing trees (regnans, sequoiadendron)

It is growing quite close to my eucalyptus regnans that was planted later and there is a sort of race going on between the two. The regnans is growing 15 feet (5 meters) lower because it's further down the slope, but it's already taller in itself than the sequoia, and i think that it might outgrow the sequoia in height, but that's not sure. Given that the surrounding trees are only 15 to 20 meters tall max. i hope that these two giants will eventually calm down and content themselves with the full sunlight and not grow to be too tall.

Especially the eucalyptus regnans seems fragile to me as far as wind damage is concerned whereas the sequoia looks like a bodybuilder with a really stout fat trunk. Also this was my first tree where i took away the protection, no longer deeming it necessary.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey puzzle