Apple trees. My two giant apples are sprouting leaves. The varieties are Aport (Alexander) and Peasgood Nonsuch. Giant because they make really big apples. I grafted Peasgood Nonsuch into the Aport tree. My idea as a fun project is to cross these two giant varieties to grow new really large-fruited varieties from seed.


the two apple trees grafted on dwarfing rootstock, growing together in a container. Notice the peasgood nonsuch branch grafted onto the Aport apple leafing out at the same time. This is despite the fact that the scion came from a different tree because i have a second peasgood nonsuch. Unfortunately this peasgood nonsuch is noit flowering and the aport apple only grew one flower bud.

My second peasgood nonsuch is flowering but i don't know if i will manage to cross the two. There is always something that doesn't work out...












I have another apple tree that's supposed to be one of the tastiest irish apple varieties called Irish Peach.

This is a summer apple that's ripe in August.


Irish peach apple starting to flower. Between the frost and the caterpillars and other things such as animals, disease and poor soil it's so hard here to get any fruit. I am hoping to get some apples this year. We are living here over 5 years now with me having transferred several fruit trees from our old property and for now we harvested 1 apple!















The first apple trees i grafted were 3 trees of the variety "Patte de Loup", a great old french apple variety. I grafted them on Bittenfelder and all three took. So my first grafting attempt actually had 100% success. This is my patte de loup tree which is my biggest apple tree now about ten feet tall.


Patte de loup, meaning wolf's paw, loaded with flowers. This apple has a stripe going down across the fruit, hence it's name because people imagined a wolf had struck its claws down the fruit causing the mark.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey puzzle