Melons. I started growing melons a few years ago. Since about 4 years now i have switched to growing Joseph Lofthouse's muskmelon landrace. I am trying to adapt it to my conditions here in brittany. I am a big fan of Joseph's landrace way of growing vegetables and it makes a lot of sense to me. This being said the melons haven't been growing very well for me yet but this is because he lives in a very different climate than me and he grows way higher numbers of plants than i do. He talks about the magic of his landrace gardening technique usually kicking in in the third year and since i grow a lot less plants than he does it will probably take a lot longer.


First batch of melons growing



















I had a really good plant 3 years ago that gave me 6 ripe nice juicy melons, much better than all the other plants. I kept all the seed. Maybe it was a good year.

2 years ago i had a fruit that was so tasty and sugary, eventhough it was not ripe, it really stood out from all the others. But then last year i couldn't find the seed of that fruit and i thought i had lost it but this year i found the seeds again and now i have lots of seedlings of that plant. I have high hopes for my melons this year and if i can manage to grow them properly i hope to do some progress. 

I gave some of my landrace melon seeds to different people and they pretty much told me that they were not that great, but they don't understand that it takes time and it will improve as the years go by. Already i can say that each plant makes different fruit so there is a huge genetic diversity.

I am hoping for a good melon season and maybe a minor breakthrough this year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey puzzle