Layering Avocado. After having managed to layer gevuina avellana and chaenomeles japonica i am now trying to do this with the avocado. I found a small low growing branch on my young avocado tree. I clipped off all the leaves and cut a slit into the tiny stem. I wedged a piece of matchstick into the wound so it stays open. I am trying it without rooting hormon this time. The avocado is a fantastic seedling with a strong anis smell of the crushed leaves indicating mexican genetics. I am using a mixture i am trying out lately that i found on an internet video and that seems to work very well.
One third washed sand, one third perlites and one third peat moss.
The difficulty will be to keep the soil moist enough for a whole year and since the avocado is growing in my polytunnel i will need to regularly check on it to avoid it drying out.


Small side shoot growing at the base of the stem



































Sideshoot with a piece of matchstick placed in the cut, put through the bottom of a plastic pot.


Pot filled up with soil mixture and watered in well. Now in one year all going well and if i constantly keep the soil moist there should be roots growing.

.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey puzzle