Monkey puzzle

 Last year many monkey puzzle trees (araucaria araucana) around here made good nuts and for the first time i tried them. Raw they are ok, but not great like a raw sweet chestnut. Lightly roasted they are delicious. Roasted too much they turn hard and are less good.

So i went and collected nuts under all the trees i could find and kept the biggest for sowing.

I was surprised that they grow very easily if you don't let them dry out they germinate and grow quite well in poor soil.



The seeds germinated very well and now i have quite a lot of young baby trees.

One thing i love about them is that they don't need fencing.

I heard that goats will eat them but my local wild life doesn't touch them.

I will probably plant them all out amongst my larger ones.

Lots of tasty nuts sometime in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog