"Christophs Apfel" in flower. The first time that i have a flowering true service tree and this small tree was only grafted last year march/april and already flowered the same year. My sick tree (sossenheimer riese),which is grafted, was planted by myself 7 years ago and no signs of flowering. So this variety flowers quickly and makes rather small trees. If, grown from seed, they could retain this precocious flowering and small tree size it would be a fantastic dwarf rootstock. Another good usage is to graft scions from seed grown trees into these dwarf trees to get to discover the fruit quicker. If a seed grown plant is grafted into such a tree in its second year and then flowers in its third or fourth year it would seriously speed up the breeding possibilities as opposed to waiting 10 to 12 years for flowering when grown from seed.


Young, grafted Christophs Apfel sorbus domestica tree starting its second year of growth. It flowered last year already immediately after being grafted. I know i repeat myself but this is incredible to me.


















flowers now opening. I am hoping to get fruit. I must try and catch several bumblebees to put into my polytunnel to help me increase the chances.

Comments

  1. Hello Philip,
    As Heiko Fischer once told me, this graft is blooming because it does not know that it is so young. Indeed it was taken from an old tree, and as you did a good job grafting, it is not aware how young it is ;)
    Arnould

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Arnould,
    i am very happy that it is flowering and i am hoping to get seeds. This variety was mentioned in kausch-blecken's book "Der Speierling" as flowering early and growing into a small tree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey puzzle